How often do you do something that scares you? It can be challenging to step out of your comfort zone and make changes or take on new ideas, but I believe that it's a vital part of living your life to its full potential.
If you've been stuck in a rut or living a life that is comfortable but mundane, perhaps now is the time to shake things up and bring some excitement into your days. How you do that will be unique to you and your dreams, but the reasons why you should do it apply to us all.
1. It'll wake you up. Living your life inside your comfort zone can be like sleepwalking: it's perfectly pleasant but you're not really engaging with those around you and achieving your life goals. Stepping into a more aware form of existence can heighten all of your senses and allow you to embrace living, rather than merely existing.
2. You'll start seeing new opportunities. Opening your eyes to the opportunities around you can reveal a whole host of possibilities you have never imagined before. Perhaps saying yes to one new challenge may lead to other potential options that you have always dreamed about.
3. You'll move towards your dreams. Whether you are in touch with your dreams or you've buried them deep inside, you may come closer to realising them when you start embracing new challenges. Staying in one place, however comfortable, does not allow for progression and development, so stepping out of your comfort zone enables you to fully take part in the journey of life.
4. You'll be better off in the long term. I find it helpful to think about it as short-term pain for long-term gain. It's not easy to step out of your comfort zone - that's the point, right?! But moving through the awkward, uncomfortable or painful stage can bring you to a whole new level of good things. Speaking in front of an audience, for example, can be a terrifying prospect, making you feel sick and anxious, increasing your heart rate and filling you with dread. Stepping through all of that to give a talk can be incredibly empowering and satisfying, showing you - and all those around you - that you can do anything you set your mind to, even if it's tough.
5. You'll inspire others. Taking the plunge and following new adventures will set a fabulous example for those around you, and especially for children. Show them that you won't settle for less than you deserve, but will always strive for the best experience in everything you do. You may find that others begin to follow in your footsteps and break out of their own comfort zones, and then they'll reap the benefits too.
Does your daily life sometimes feel mundane, or more of a struggle than you would like? Here at Blisscloud, we understand the ups and downs and we know the value of stepping into a more blissful existence. Visit Blisscloud today and sign up for tips, special offers and events.
Morgan found yoga 15 years ago as a way to recover from anorexia. It has carried her through her PhD, raising twin girls and in a move towards her passion she chose to pursue full time yoga teaching in 2012. Since then she has led several yoga retreats, co-owned a yoga studio (Yoga-on-Tay) and helped to develop a 'yoga for amputees' program along with Finding Your Feet (FYF) Charity. When she is not yoga-ing, or parenting Morgan competes for Scotland in ultra distance running and cross country. Morgan believes that yoga is for everyone.